Vu Thi Que, a founding partner and Chairwoman of Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, is the Partner in charge of the firm’s Corporate Regulatory, Mergers & Acquisitions, Competition, Customs & Trade,Employment & Benefits, Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, TMT, Real Estate & Construction practice groups.
Que has more than 18 years of experience in legal practice and is highly evaluated by clients. Bringing special expertise to the profession with her wide array of legal knowledge and trilingual abilities, she is highly evaluated by clients for her “fast response, and good business acumen and industry knowledge”. Being fluent in both English and Chinese (Mandarin), Que advises various English-speaking and Chinese-speaking clients, as well as other multinational clients, on a wide range of legal and compliance issues.
In M&A transactions, Que has successfully led her team in closing a significant number of deals spanning a broad spectrum of industries. From due diligence to transaction documentation, the Corporate and M&A practice group under Que’s lead has been regarded for its responsiveness and local expertise, as well as for the unique knowledge and ability in matters relating to the Chinese market that Que brings.
Que has additionally been involved in advisory and negotiations for the development of some of Vietnam’s largest real estate and infrastructure projects. Her experience covers developments of entire new townships, commercial and residential high-rise towers, highways, and other infrastructure projects of national significance amidst Vietnam’s rapid economic development of the past few decades.
Que has been approached and is regarded by investors, from promising start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, for her assistance in greenfield and brownfield projects. These span a broad spectrum of industries, and she has been behind the setup of many successful corporations in Vietnam.
Prior to co-managing Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, Que was the Head of Legal Affairs & Corporate Compliance for Bayer Vietnam. In this position, she provided practical guidance and solutions for various legal and corporate compliance issues relating to the core businesses of the company, including consumer care, healthcare, veterinary care, agribusiness, and materials science. During her term at Bayer, she was also a Member of the Corporate Business Services Management Team.
Projects, Infrastructure & Energy
- Advised a leading Taiwanese state-owned enterprise on the setup of a US$65+ million lubricant oil manufacturing plant with a specialised port
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise in its cooperation with Vietnam Electricity (EVN) for the development of the US$1.5+ billion Duyen Hai 3 Thermal Power Plant
- Advised a leading Taiwanese construction group in a build-transfer contract for the construction of the US$260+ million junction line between Halong City and Bach Dang Bridge
- Advised Janakuasa Pte Ltd in the investment and operation matters of its subsidiary in Vietnam in the field of wind power energy Corporate/ M&A
- Assisted a leading Taiwanese conglomerate on its set-up and structuring of its US$250 million manufacturing facility in southern Vietnam
- Advised PowerChina in connection with its financing transactions for various clean energy projects across Vietnam such as Dau Tieng 1, Dau Tieng 2 and Dau Tieng 3 Photovoltaic Solar Power Plant Projects (420 MW), Truong Thanh Tra Vinh V1-2 Offshore Wind Power Plant Project (48 MW), Bac Lieu Wind Power Plant - Phase III (141MW) and Soc Trang Wind Power Plant - Phase I (30MW), as well as in general project development matters
- Assisting EDP Renewables, a world leading renewable energy company, in its acquisition projects in Vietnam
- Advised Jiangsu Luneng Energy Co., Ltd on its joint ventures to establish cell production line in Vietnam
Corporate Regulatory / Merger & Acquisition
- Assisted a Japanese sogo shosha on the incorporation of a general trading company to distribute several hundred HS codes, one of the first of its kind in Vietnam
- Advised a prominent Southeast Asian broadcaster on its market entry and cooperation with a Vietnamese entrepreneur to deliver VOD in Vietnam, to be among the first foreign-owned VOD providers in Vietnam
- Assisted a Japanese investor in acquiring a more than 20% equity stake in a Vietnamese listed logistics company, one of the few successful acquisitions in this restricted line of business
- Assisted a major American educational organisation on its internal restructuring and acquisition plans to bolster its presence in southern Vietnam
- Advised a leading Korean conglomerate on deal structuring and assisted in drafting all transaction documentation for a takeover of a major Vietnamese manufacturer
- Assisted a Japanese investor in a share transfer among a group of Singaporean companies in the construction industry
- Assisted a Malaysian investor in its acquisition of gaming and casino rights in a five-star hotel in Vietnam
- Acted as Vietnamese counsel to Hong Leong Group in its acquisition (with TPG) of Columbia Asia Hospitals
- Advised a Hong Kong company on structuring for its acquisition of a Vietnamese healthcare product manufacturing company
- Advised a Vietnamese tobacco company in its restructuring and proposed equity sale of over US$200 million
- Advised a Singapore healthcare group on implementing its US$65+ million hospital project from inception to opening
- Advised a major Dutch animal nutrition and fish feed manufacturer on their equity takeover of its Vietnamese subsidiary
- Advised a leading global testing, inspection and certification company on their equity takeover of their Vietnamese subsidiary
- Advised a leading Chinese cement manufacturer in its US$250+ million takeover of one of Vietnam’s largest cement companies
- Acted for Kajima Corporation in its acquisition of Indochina Riverside Towers in Danang from the Indochina Group
- Acted for Sumitomo Forestry in its strategic investment in and development partnership with An Cuong Woodworking.
- Assisted TCL Optoelectronics with the merger filing of its proposed US$ 1 billion acquisition of LCD panels business from Samsung Display Korea
- Assisted Bluestar Adisseo with the merger filing of its proposed acquisition of a Dutch feed additives company
- Advised Beijing New Building Materials Public Limited Company on its joint venture to establish production line of high-end rock wool and flat color steel plates in Vietnam with total investment capacity of approximately USD 22.5 million
- Advised Biomar Group on the proposed transaction of purchasing 67.5% of capital contribution in a leading aqua feed manufacturer (including review and advise on the Members; Agreement, Capital Contribution Sale and Purchase Agreement and other ancillary agreements, advise on the transfer structure and attend negotiation with the relevant parties)
Banking & Finance
- Advised Novelis Inc. on Vietnamese law matters for its subsidiary’s entrance into a US$1+ billion revolving credit agreement.
- Advised multiple Chinese and Taiwanese financial institutions in their corporate regulatory and general commercial matters.
- Advised Fubon Bank on its facility agreements and relevant transaction documents.
- Assisted a leading Taiwanese construction company in the drafting of a VND 300+ billion loan agreement with Quang Ninh Province for land clearance and mine and bomb disarmament, as part of a nationally significant infrastructure project.
- Advised Lombard Asia III L.P. in drafting the amendments and registration with SBV of an offshore loan with a Vietnamese company
- Advised a leading JCB International on setting up its presence in Vietnam, as well as advised on the structuring of its credit card issuance programs with leading Vietnamese financial institutions
Construction & Real Estate
- Advised Paujar Group, a Taiwanese conglomerate, on its development of the Docklands residential project in District 7 and their Flemington condominium project District 11, Ho Chi Minh City
- Advised a leading Singaporean real estate developer on its development (and subsequent sales and leasing arrangements) of its shopping complex and commercial real estate developments across southern Vietnam
- Advised a leading Japanese real estate company in its joint venture with Becamex Binh Duong for its development of a condominium project in Binh Duong Province
- Advised Keppel Land, a major Singaporean real estate developer on its numerous investment projects in central Ho Chi Minh City
- Advised the Nam Long Group on matters of structuring and development for its residential projects in Ho Chi Minh City via a joint venture with two Japanese conglomerates
- Advised a Chinese real estate developer on its planned multibillion dollar project development in Vietnam, including the exploration of PPP models
- Advised a Hong Kong property developer on its planned joint venture with one of Vietnam’s largest property groups for the development of a mixed-used development in HCMC
- Assisted Mapletree in legal matters relating to the Mapletree Binh Duong Industrial Zone, Binh Duong Province and the sale of this industrial zone to BW Industrial
- Assisted Mapletree in certain legal matters relating to the Mapletree Logistic Park in VSIP 1, Binh Duong Province
- Assisted Boustead Projects in a number of its industrial land projects in Vietnam
- Assisted JD Group in a number of its industrial land projects in Vietnam
- Assisted Ascendas REIT in a number of its industrial land projects in Vietnam
- Assisted Hua Fu Group in its sublease of a large scale land area in Long An province for its project development in Vietnam
- Acted for the garments arm of the Far Eastern Group in its US$1+ billion expansion in the garments industry in southern Vietnam, including in land procurement for its manufacturing megaproject in industrial parks.
- Assisted China Petroleum Corporation Taiwan, Unishine Chemical Corporation, and Excel Chemical Corporation in the sublease of a large scale land area in Ong Keo Industrial Zone to implement an investment project of lubricant production and wharf operation
- Advised a Chiap Hua Group on its restructuring and multiple compliance matters pertaining to its residential development in District 2, including spearheading one of Vietnam’s first property splits by a foreign-invested company under the latest Law on Land
- Advised Core Pacific Group, a leading Taiwanese real estate developers in its projects development in Vietnam
- Advised China Fortune Land Development (CFLD) in its incorporation of the 100% foreign owned company in Vietnam and provided regulatory advice
- Assisting IDEC Asia on land acquisition transactions in both the north and the south of Vietnam for its warehouse developments
Competition, Customs & Trade
- Advised a major Chinese company on exportation of e-bikes from Vietnam to the European Union under EVFTA including the determination of origin of goods
- Advised a major foreign-invested company in Vietnam on labelling regulations and origin determination for its exported semi-finished industrial gloves products
- Advised a Chinese client on regulations for obtainment of a certificate of origin in Vietnam for its battery products
- Advised a Chinese company on determination of the origin of the furniture chairs manufactured in Vietnam which use raw materials imported from China
- Advised a Nutreco Group, a leading animal nutrition in the HS Code classification for the imporation of its equipments to be imported into Vietnam
- Advised a number of China based manufacturers on structuring the re-allocation plan for their investment into Vietnam in order to be entitled to incentives under international treaties which Vietnam is a signatory
- Visiting Lecturer of Dong A Law School, Dong A University, Busan, South Korea
- Visiting Lecturer of Taiwan Academy of Banking & Finance, Taipei, Taiwan
- Founding Mediator/Vice President, Vietnam International Commercial Mediation Center (VICMC)
- Accredited Mediator, The Center for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR)
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Law Asia
- Member, Vietnam Bar Federation
- Member, Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
- Member, China Business Association Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member, Japanese Business Association Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member, Taiwanese Chambers of Commerce Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member, Singapore Chambers of Commerce Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- “Local practice rules the Law”, Tsinghua Law Journal (Beijing, China), Nov 2003 (published in Chinese).
- “Practical Implementation Encumbrances of the Law on Investment and Law on Enterprises in Vietnam” – Dong A Journal of International Business Transactions Law (Busan, South Korea) Volume 8/December 2012 (published in English)
- “Digging deeper in Mining M&A”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 26 – Sep 1, 2013 (published in English)
- “M&A Opportunities in Mining Sectors for Foreign Investors”, M&A 2013 Journal (Hanoi, Vietnam), July 2013 (published in Vietnamese)
- “Vietnam – Merger Control”, Global Legal Insight 2014 (published in English)
- “Pitfall on new land law every investor should avoid”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 11-17, 2014 (published in English)
- “M&A deal: Notes on Competition law”, Saigon Times (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), December 18-2014 (publish in Vietnamese)
- “New M&A growth blocked by lack of legal clarification”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 3-9, 2015 (published in English)
- “Change to Real Estate Law begets challenges”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 3-9, 2015 (published in English)
- “Risks in dual nationality”, Saigon Economy (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 31 July 2016 (published in Vietnamese)
- “Business Opportunities in Vietnam” hosted by Brainworks Co., Ltd. to help Japanese companies in consideration to expand their businesses in Vietnam. Sailing Master, winter 2020 (published in Japanese). (https://bwg.meclib.jp/sam2019nov/book/#target/page_no=1)
- Top 100 Business Leader 2017, Selected by Vietnam Chambers of Commerce (VCCI) - Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Leading Lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure Work, M&A,
Project development, IFLR 1000 (2015 - 2020) (https://www.iflr1000.com/Lawyer/Vu-Thi-Que/Profile/52#profile)
- Recommended Lawyer and Leading Individual for Banking and Finance/ Corporate and M&A/ Projects and Energy/ Labour and Employment/ Real Estate and Construction/TMT/Tax, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2021) (https://www.legal500.com/firms/33467-rajah-tann-lct-lawyers/34727-ho-chi-minh-city-vietnam/lawyers/664938-vu-thi-que/)
- Leading Lawyer in Corporate/M&A, Employment* Chambers Global (2019, 2021) (https://chambers.com/guide/globalpublicationTypeId=2&practiceAreaId=354&subsectionTypeId=5&locationId=230) (*2021)
- Asia Super 50 TMT Lawyers 2021, ranked by Asian Legal Business (https://legalbusinessonline.com/features/alb-asia-super-50-tmt-lawyers)
- A-List of Vietnam’s Top 100 Lawyers 2020 &2021, selected by Asia Business Law Journal (https://law.asia/asia-business-law-journal/lawyers/vietnam-lawyers/#Vu-Thi-Que)